{Pretty Princess Selfie} Layout (9/14/16)

by - 5:55 PM



Hello!  Today I spent most of the day struggling with the latest sketch from Creative Scrappers #298.
img_2729








I wanted to follow the sketch as closely as possible.  It includes circles in the background.  I HATE circles.  I have no idea why.  Something about them.  I just can't put my finger on it.  I always feel that something is off when I use circles.  The proportion or something just seems wrong.  So I decided to use this sketch and face my struggles head on.  You know what happened?  I had scrappy fits.  I kept leaving and coming back.  I started 3-4 different layouts. I was just totally frustrated.  But I kept going.  I persevered.  I conquered the circle.  Well, at least I feel that I did.  I finally figured out a way to represent the circles in the sketch in a way that I really like.  Here is my layout:
pretty-princess-selfie
Now this is pretty bust for my taste but once I started I couldn't stop.  The picture is of my daughter.  She has been sneaking my phone and taking selfies of herself playing.  I have probably hundreds of selfies of her and her toys.  Most of them are useless because they are blurry or poor quality due to lighting.  But this one was perfect.  I chose to use some of my favorite colors (teal, pink, purple, and gray).  I used white cardstock as the background.  All of the pattern papers are from my scrap bin.  I chose to use my hexagon punch instead of stars.  I love the way this turned out!
There are a couple of things I would change.  I would move the teal layer from the middle box up a little so that it doesn't line up with the back square.  I would use a different color square behind the journalling strips because they seem to blend a little.  I would outline the cut aparts.  But that is all little things that I don't care that much about.
Here is a list of products I used:
  • background paper: Colorbök from Walmart
  • teal layer behind picture: unknown manufacturer
  • white and black polka dot paper: Pebbles-Jen Hadfield-Home+Made- Best Of (2015)
  • grey diamond paper: Pink Paislee-Memorandum (2015)
  • watercolor polka dot paper: Echo Park-Kaitlin Sheafer-Creative Agenda (2014)
  • purple paper: Bo Bunny-Peacock Lane-Plumes (2010)
  • colorful hexagon paper and striped hexagon: American Crafts-My Girl (2012)
  • turquoise hexagons: Basic Grey-Wander-Hub (2010)
  • pink cardstock hexagons: American Crafts
  • washi tape around circle: Recollections-Color Splash
  • happy, cutie pie, playtime cut apart: Crate Paper-Oh Darling-What a Doll paper
  • emoji stickers, "you brighten my day", "don't ever change", selfie letter, and princess letter stickers: Echo Park-Kaitlin Sheafer-Creative Agenda- Element Stickers #CA70014 (2014)
  • pretty letter stickers: Bella Blvd-Love and Marriage-Alpha+Bits #580 (2013)
  • crown and pink zig-zag stickers: Echo Park-Little Girl-Element Stickers #LG10014 (2010)
  • sequin stickers: Heidi Swapp-Memory Planner
While this was a struggle I really enjoy the way it turned out! See you next time!
Untitled

You May Also Like

0 comments